Reverse Osmosis (RO) and Nano-Filtration (NF) membranes are highly selective water filtration agents. Because of this trait any suspended colloids or sparingly soluble salts may be able to foul membranes. No matter how effective RO and NF pretreatment is fouling will inevitably occur and cleaning will eventually be required. Aqua Clear Water Treatment Specialists has a whole line of specialty formulated membrane cleaners targeted towards a variety of commonly observed fouling instances of RO and NF membranes. All Aqua Clear membrane cleaners are compatible with polyamide thin film composite membranes.
RO and NF membranes may experience a wide variety of different fouling that varies by feedwater source and position in an water treatment system. Lead elements will experience contact with the highest amounts of dissolved and suspended solids while the tail elements experience feedwater that has been concentrated up and contains a high amounts of salts. For this reason fouling that occurs within one system may be completely different based on position. For example a lead element may eventually foul with biological or clay fouling while a tail element in the same system may foul with scale. Past Aqua Clear and membrane manufacturer studies have shown that cleaning when a 15% increase in differential pressure or 15% loss of permeate productivity or increase in permeate product dissolved solids will significantly extend overall membrane life. Cleaning on-time considerably reduces the need to replace costly RO and NF membranes.
Aqua Clear provides membrane autopsy services to determine the most effective cleaning regimen for site-specific fouling. If a fouling event occurs where a previously used cleaning regimen is ineffective a membrane autopsy would help gain insightful knowledge in cleaning and restoring membrane performance and will provide useful information on how to prevent future fouling events from occurring.
- A multicomponent low pH liquid cleaner that is specifically formulated to remove calcium carbonate scaling. The cleaner contains a blend of proprietary chelates and inorganic acids which are safe to use on membranes experiencing calcium carbonate scaling. The cleaner is buffered to resist pH change although pH should be monitored during cleaning. For use in systems where a more aggressive pH is needed.
- A multi-component low pH liquid cleaner that is formulated to solubilize and remove metals and calcium carbonate. The cleaner is highly buffered to resist changes in pH due to calcium carbonate scaling.
- A high pH multi-component liquid cleaner designed to remove silts and bio-fouling. Contains a proprietary blend of surfactants and chelates and dispersants. A great cleaner for maintenance cleans. The cleaner is highly effective at removing deposited foulant and mild enough to be used daily if required.
- A multicomponent high pH powdered cleaner that contains a blend of proprietary surfactants and chelates and foulant dispersants. Designed for removal of bio-film accumulation and silts and clay deposition. The cleaner is highly buffered to resist pH changes.
- A high pH multicomponent liquid cleaner for use in RO systems experiencing significant bio-fouling. The cleaner is highly buffered to resist pH changes at all temperatures. The cleaner contains a proprietary blend of bio-dispersants and chelates designed to remove deposited suspended solids and bio-growth. For use in systems where a more aggressive pH is needed to remove fouling.
- A high pH liquid cleaner for use in RO systems experiencing sulfate scale fouling. The cleaner has strong chelating properties which allows efficient removal of hardness-based sulfate scaling.
- A multi-component high pH powdered cleaner for use in RO systems experiencing silica scale fouling. Contains a proprietary blend of surfactants and chelates designed to solubilize and remove silica-based scale precipitation. Does not contain harmful ammonium bifluoride making it much safer than typical silica scale etchants and cleaners.
- A multi-component high pH liquid cleaner for use in RO systems that process produced water. Contains a proprietary blend of surfactants and dispersants and emulsifiers designed to remove hydrophobic hydrocarbon fouling such as oil and grease from RO membranes. Does not contain any RO membrane incompatible cationic surfactants.